Sunday, March 23, 2008

When you write a goal down on paper its always there to remind you!

Well I had a little too much fun last night out with friends. I won't write about for the world to hear but if you are interested let me know. It has made today a little rough.

Today I went for a 2 hour bike ride which was very slow and casual.  We rode all over Dallas and saw many of the sites in the city. It was nice and got me thinking about how the Tour of Dallas I am doing the weekend after my race will be really cool.

I really just wanted to write in about my goal. I cut out of the last Triathlon magazine a clipping of the Ironman Wisconsin race bio. I hung it on my wall and wrote 2009 on it. This is the goal. In the year 2009 I will begin the one of the largest undertakings in my entire life. I will after completing the Ironman 70.3 race in Austin, Texas take a break and figure out my plan for racing the Ironman Wisconsin race. The race will be in September 2009. It is now a going to become a reality. Its just a matter of time.

About 2 years ago I began my first training program ever. I got on runners world and downloaded a half marathon training plan. I did this for one reason, and there is one person to thank. That person is Fernando Rodriguez.  Fernando was my boss at Turner Universal when I first started working in Janruary 2004.  I had another opportunity to work with him in the summer of 2006 at Turner. He is a great mentor and a positive person who I have learned a great deal from over the years. I really look up to him in many ways. He is one of the people that I was sad that I left behind when I transferred to Dallas. I throughly enjoyed working with him. Anyways thats who Fernando is. When I told him about how much I was running and how I had done some 5k's recently he said simply, that I should train for a half marathon. Plain and simple he is one of the reasons that I am where I am today. He put it simply, just get a plan and stick to it and the training does the rest. From what I can recall, from that day forward I began to research what Half marathons I could race in and where I could get guidance on a training plan. I found what I needed in Runners world magazine and there online website. I set the goal of training for The St. Judes Half marathon in memphis in December 2006. I started my training when I went back to school and one thing I did was print it out and post it on my wall. I crossed off each day that I had a workout and looked at it everyday. I also wrote the date of the race on it as a constant reminder.

What I am trying to convey is how your goals, dreams, and aspirations can always be attained and achieved no matter how lofty. I put reminders of these goals on display for me to see everyday. I look at them a thousand times a day. I stare at them thinking, hoping, and dreaming of what will come. Not only are they there for me to see but everybody that comes in my apartment sees them as well. This is a great way for me to share my dreams with friends. It helps to keep me accountable for what I am trying to achieve because every time someone asks me what they are I tell them. This simple act of printing the race registration or in my case putting the ad's and articles about the races I am running in from Triathlete magazine on the wall will help me to make my dreams reality.  This little trick works too. I encourage anyone to try it for anything at all. A fellow person on runnersworld traithlon forum has a quote that sums up this topic.


You can quit and sure nobody else cares, but you'll always know you quit. 

1 comment:

Ironman 70.3 said...

Congrats man - awesome goal. Good luck