Sunday, March 9, 2008

So many races so little time



Good afternoon, I just got done registering for a 90 mile ride from Austin Texas, to Shiner, Texas to take a tour of the Shiner Bock brewery and drink lots of beer. My friend Mike and Tommy will be doing the ride too. This will be the farthest I have ever ridden too. Its going to be a great practice for Buffalo Springs 70.3 which is a really hilly bike course and will be tough. That is on June 29th and the Shiner Ride is on May 3rd. I already can't wait. I am doing so many cool races this year. I love Texas and all of the races that you can do here.

Yesterday, I did about a 30mi ride followed by a 10mi bike ride. I felt quite strong the entire time i was doing it. It was a good practice before my first half ironman (HIM). What I have begun to realize that having run the marathon has really made me feel confident in my ability to run 13 miles. Its so easy for me know to do that distance. I could run that distance all day. The confidence I have now is superb. I kind of wish I could have ran the 10mi a bit faster but no worries, with time will come speed.

I did Yoga today for about 40 minutes, I was quite sore from yesterdays workout. This should help with that soreness.

Last night I got a call from a good friend Jen from college. It was really nice to hear from her. When I think back to my college experience, I recall many good memories. But some people and some certain experiences stand out above all others. Some of those people like, Tyler, Mike, Chris, and some memories like karaoke. That is where Jen comes into play. In college I was a bit on the hefty side and now not so much. With that being said not too many girls were ever attracted to me nor did I meet that many girls while I was in college. Jen was different and she was someone that I became great friends with. She was really like the first girl that I got to know well in college. Through her I met many of her friends and gained a great group of friends. This may sound a little weird but this didn't happen until I was a junior in college. I mean I could count the girls I knew in college on 2 hands and some of those were people I knew before I went to school. To give you an idea of how fat and how few girls I knew in college, I was never once in my 5 years at school ever invited to any sorority date party, formal or anything like that. Some may laugh when they hear that but it kinda sucked for me. Some people went to those things all the time and I never went to a single one. What is really funny is I learned how cruel girls and others can be to people when they are fat. I mean most girls would never give me the time of day when I was fat and as I began to start to loose weight more and more girls started to be nice to me and actually realize that oh this guy isn't so bad anymore now that he lost a few pounds. I think its so funny how having a better body will make more girls appeal to you, but hell I am the same way about girls. However when I was fat I never really felt like I was fat and should have paid more attention to the fact that I had to keep buying bigger pants.

Jen is a great person and truly a good friend of mine. Yesterday while I was riding my bike I thought about her and what she might be doing. The reason I thought about her was I just think about college and what some of my friends might be doing and she just happen to be one that I thought of. What was crazy was that I got a call from her last night while I was walking to a bar and it was really nice to hear from her and hear about what she was doing. Of all the people at school Jen is one that I miss hanging out with. What is great about Jen is that through me having a girlfriend and at sometimes being mean to her and I apologize for this, she is till my friend and hasn't wavered that is the mark of a good person and friend.

I feel like I am starting to get a little long winded and the day is passing away as I type so enough for now...

1 comment:

Mnowac said...

What a great transformation. I wish I had been more into excercise and training in college, it would have saved me from a lot of stupid drunk nights!