Monday, March 17, 2008

Short on Work, Long on Training

This one is going to be short but something is better than nothing. My workouts were great today. I had a 2800m swim this morning and then a 21 mile ride this evening in which I averaged 19.4 mph. I was hauling ass down the Katy trail.... it was great! This week will prove to be a great week for a couple reasons.

1. I ordered the movie "What It Takes" on Sunday. I got both the Trainer Edition and the Standard edition. I am so excited about watching this I can't even begin to explain. I am so excited in fact that I am considering setting up my TV outside and riding on my trainer when I get it. I have a feeling that I will watch both of these movies on a regular basis and they will serve as inspiration when the training begins to get tough.

Time for a tangent.... A recent post on runnersworld triathlon forum, was what type of motivating things should you say to a person competing in an ironman while you are a volunteer. A few Ironman finishers posted their comments. However, there was one that stood out among all the rest. This comment really helps to paint the picture of why I want to complete one of these races. The comment was simple, short and sweet, it was: "Your going to be an Ironman" If someone to say that to me at mile 14 or 18 of the 26.2 run, I would feel re-invigorated and that special thought would come back into my head as to why I am doing what I am doing. To me completing an Ironman is 10+ hours of grueling, punishing, but yet satisfying work, that once completed, I will own the bragging rights of being an Ironman for a lifetime. Just watch the videos and you'll see what I mean. Here are some cool videos Ironman and Ironman 2 and Ironman 3

Anyways... 

2. I don't have to work on Friday another great thing...

3. Friday is a free day to get in some great training. I am planning on going somewhere far off in the country and going for like a 60-70 mile ride on the bike. Slow and easy but fun...

4. Saturday is an open water swim at lake grapevine. I can't wait for this. I get to wear my wetsuit in the open water. I love the challenge of swimming in the open water. I want to do about 2000-3000 meters or around 1 - 2 hours of swimming. Then go maybe get to know some of my Team In Training Team mates a little better.

5. Mike is having people over tomorrow night for a cookout so that will be fun.

6. Wednesday night I am cooking a swordfish recipe from the latest issue of Men's Health, it should be a good meal too. I think I will have grilled asparagus too. 

If all of these reasons don't make this into a good week, I don't know what will... So a short posting, I guess not..

I will be sending my blog out to a distribution list of my close family and friends.... If you would like to be added to this list please email me at bskyllingstad@gmail.com

Have a good night...

No comments: