Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Wetsuit Wednesday

Today has been a good day. I Did 2200m in the pool this morning in my new wetsuit. It was the first time I had ever swim in a wetsuit. I love it. I felt like I was wearing a very thin life jacket. I mean there is no way you can drown with one of those on. I never realized how buoyant they really make you. Can't wait to get in the open water with one on. I truly think that the wetsuit made me swim faster. I was able to do 6 x 200m send offs at 4:00m and that was giving myself over a 1min rest each time. I was hitting each 200 in 3mins and some in 2:50's. I felt fast and sleek and floated too. Here was my workout in the pool:

Personalized swimming program for Brett
www.swimplan.com


Duration 45-60 mins
Distance 2200m
Pool length 25m
Issued Mar 6 2008

Warm up


• 4 x 100m Freestyle Swim (even pace), rest 0:15 / 100m [Easy]
Freestyle swim at a steady pace.
Build up (repeat 8 times)


• 1 x 25m Single Arm (arm out front) 6 x left, 6 x right, 6 x full stroke, rest 0:10 / 25m [Easy]
Freestyle using one arm at a time, focusing on shoulder and hip rotation. Complete 6 arm strokes with the left arm then 6 strokes with the right arm followed by 6 strokes using both arms. The non-stroking arm is held out front in a streamlined position.

• 1 x 25m Freestyle Catch Up, rest 0:10 / 25m [Easy]
Freestyle drill where one arm catches up to the other between stokes. Both arms start stretched out. One arm completes full stoke (both arms return to a stretched out position) then the other arm completes a full stroke. Pull with one arm at a time and touch your hands between each alternating arm stroke.
Core


• 6 x 200m Freestyle Swim, leave on 04:00 / 200m [Aerobic]
Freestyle swim, starting every 200m set on the defined time period. The departure time combines your swimming target time and rest time, so the faster you go the more rest you will have. Conversely, the slower you swim, the less rest time you will have.
Warm down


• 4 x 50m Easy Any Stroke, rest 0:15 / 50m [Easy]
Swim your choice of stroke, at a slow, relaxed pace.


Intensity key

Easy: 50-60% of your maximum heart rate

Aerobic: 60-70% of your maximum heart rate

Endurance: 70-80% of your maximum heart rate

Sprint: 80-90% of your maximum heart rate



Today on the runners world triathlon forum the Question of the day was What sports do your significant others participate in?

See questions like this make me feel young and lonely.... I don't have a girlfriend or children. I would assume that if I did have a girlfriend she would have to accept the fact that Triathlons and training are a big part of my life and would have to want to be healthy too.

All in all the day has gone well. I think I will get my car washed after work and then I am going to see the IMAX with Audrey and go somewhere for dinner with her. It should be fun. Hopefully she gets off work in time and we can make it to the IMAX on time.

No comments: