Sunday, March 16, 2008

Well here are the results:


I didn't place in my age group but ended up getting 7th. I was pleased with this performance. My computer told me I averaged over 20.7 mph on the 12 mile bike leg. I was able to hit a 4:57 in my swim but its probably closer to a 4:40 in the swim because I had to wait to get out of the pool and run a bit before I got to the mat for the timing chip. The swim was 300 meters so I averaged about 1:31 per 100 meters. The run was weak, I could have gone faster but for the first mile I had a side stitch that I couldn't shake because my nose was stuffed up and couldn't take deep breathes. Normally when I get a side stitch I take deep breaths breathing from your stomach in through my nose and out through my mouth. What I mean by breathing from my stomach is imagine and try wen you take a deep breath let you stomach be pushed out and not sucked in. Its a technique that I learned in yoga. By breathing like this when you have a side stitch it helps to relax your diaphragm and alleviate the side stitch quickly. I normally can get ride of a side stitch before it even starts. I realized my description of breathing through your stomach isn't very good so here is a link. Belly Breathing

Besides not getting a medal I was very happy with my performance. When you compare results to last year there was a bunch more competition in the race. My time from this year would have put me in the top 3 in my age group when compared to the results from last year.

Yesterday ended up being one drunken day too. We went to Greenville Ave. for the block party they had and a few houses too. It was good time, and needless to say I ended up in bed at 11:30pm. But that is a long day after waking up at 4am. So now I am gonna go for an easy ride on the bike.

No comments: