Sunday, June 15, 2008

A thought of what may come.....

A boy in a small town gets a horse for his birthday. Everyone in this town is so happy for the boy. It is a great thing for the little boy to have a pony and the small boy could not be more happy.

Many years later the young man is riding his horse and falls off and breaks his leg. Everyone in the town says how unfortunate it was that the boy fell and broke his leg. Everyone in the town shares their sympathy with the small boy.

A few weeks later a war breaks out and there is a draft, all the men in town are drafted to serve their country. The young man is unable to go to war because he has a broken leg. All of the other young men are killed in a horrible battle. Everyone in the town thinks how fortunate the boy is to have broken his leg as not to go fight in the war.

What does this all mean, think about for yourself. In this case, Good begot bad, bad begot good. Could it go on for ever, will it go on forever? I don't know and no one can be for sure. So what moment are you living in the seemingly good (getting that horse for your birthday) or the seemingly bad (sitting with a broken leg).

Even if you may think you having a rough time in life, always remember this story and always be looking forward to what better things may come.

So after a little break time, I have some good news to share. I have finally broken the ranks of the Age Grouper Triathletes. On June 7th I raced in a triathlon in Dallas. It was only a sprint distance race but still a fast one. The distances were a 400m swim, 11 mile bike ride, and a 2 mile run. I completed all of this in 50:46. I won FIRST PLACE in my age group. I am in the 20 - 24 year old age group. There was a total of 300 people in the race and 22 in my age group. Follow this link RESULTS I would have broken 50 minutes but in my transition #2 (from bike to run) the bike rack fell over and I couldn't just leave my bike on the ground and not rack it. For 2 reasons its a penalty and then all other 5 people who would have to rack their bikes after me would not be able to. No worries though I still got first place and took my trophy home. My friend Mike also got first place in Clydesdales. I also didn't really push myself on the run, because I knew I had already won my age group. I only average 7 min miles. The wednesday before I ran 2 miles after a 21 mile bike ride at 6:30 per min miles. 

Needless to say it was a great feeling to win this. When I started running and doing triathlons, never did I think I would win races. Here I am now, actually getting pretty good a racing these things. I mean I did the Katy Trail 5k this past May, and I got 5th in my age group out of 56 people. I guess I am now beginning to realize that I actually might have a little bit of talent at this stuff. I still am humble and don't think I do. My friend Mike says that I have talent but I don't believe him. This stuff is still hard for me, even though I might make it look easy. I am looking forward to a better week of training compared to last weeks. I was in Long Beach, California and only ran 1 day last week, then caught a little cold from the travel and shaking hands with people for 2 days straight all day long. So ease back into this week and make the commitment to do around a 3 hour ride next saturday morning. I am going to go all by myself back down to Lancaster, TX. I am gonna ride my hill there for a bit too. I love that hill because someone spray painted on the road "You can do it!" Then after this weekend is Buffalo Springs Ironman 70.3 I am really excited for this because some of the greatest racers in the sport of triathlon will be there. I mean the beauty of the sport of the triathlon is that I get to race shoulder to shoulder with past world champions in the sport. How many other sports that you can participate in can you say you get the chance to play with best of the best. I mean I am just a normal average guy, and I am getting to race with equivalent of the Troy Aikman or Michael Jordan of the tri world. Pretty cool huh? Off to bed for now, and maybe start reading a new book tonight.


1 comment:

Ironman 70.3 said...

Thanks for the shout out... Nice win man. Let's take first at the Disco tri coming up.