Monday, April 28, 2008

Blazing a Trail

So I traveled to Red Top Mountain State Park in Georgia this past weekend. This is about 35 miles north of downtown Atlanta. I came upon this destination for a wedding. Friends of mine, Dusty and Leslie, got married this weekend. The wedding reception and ceremony were absolutely amazing. The surrounding woods and trails were a gorgeous setting for a wedding. The actual reception was held at a plantation house. It was a great time for all.

On Saturday morning, I was able to take advantage of the locale for the event by doing some trail running. Once again for the second weekend in a row I realized that while Texas is great, it doesn’t offer much in terms of beauty or hills or nice outdoor scenery. These trails snaked around Lake Allatoona and climbed through the hills of the mountains. Starting off I knew from looking in the hotel guest book that there was a 5.5 mile loop that I could run. I set my mind on Friday night that I would run this route in the morning. So in setting out for the trail I asked the front desk for directions and they indicated that I could pick up the trail and follow the yellow marks for what was called the Homestead Trail.

With the first step on the dead pine needles and leaves, I knew that this was going to be a good run. I immediately noticed how with each step I rebounded significantly quicker and felt more of a spring in my step. I haven’t ever done much trail running, but have read up on in it runners world before. I was very happy with the way it was starting out. The ground provided a cushioning that is not comparable to anything man made. The rigidness of concrete, asphalt and steel, provide no cushioning against the pounding impact of each stride. I didn’t know what I was in for either. The trail had many climbs and descents.

The trails I hoped would be hilly and fun. I took cautious steps as I begin to climb the first of many hills. Trail running is not as simple as lacing up your shoes and heading out the front door. It’s critical that you have heightened senses on your run. A trail is place of raw untouched and ever evolving terrain. It at times seems as if it is devoid of anything that a normal runner is used to, cars, concrete, stoplights, bikes, and all of the other items that a runner comes into contact with on a daily basis. I could run this trail twice in the same day and each time the trail would present itself to me in a different way. When you run on a trail its crucial to be ever vigilant of each future foot strike. Each time that you strike the ground you never know if a rock will roll or a root moves and if mud is not solid. It provides a challenge to have a keen sense of what you are about to do before foot hits the ground. The uphills were steep long and the down hills were a quad punishing delight. Running hills is great because you are able to challenge your leg muscles on the way up and forces you to work them in a completely opposite way on the way down. I can compare it to squats on the way up and more of a balancing act and restraining challenge on the way down. What’s more challenging is when you are running hills on trails, because with each stride down the hill you gain speed and momentum, and this is when it becomes ever critical to make sure that with each step you have secure footing. Because at any moment you could slip and roll down into the ravine that is to your right and stream that has sharp jagged rocks protruding. Needless to say it was a challenge. Some of these hills were sustained grades of 15% with durations from 400ft to .5 miles. I have included some pictures of the elevation profile and some shots of were I was able to run.

What was most interesting is I completed the first loop and realized it wasn’t the entire 5.5 miles and I had to cross the street in the state park to continue it. So I ran and just chose my path and ended up running closer to about 7 miles for the day. I ended quite a ways away from where I needed to be when I started following another trail. It was then time to look at a map and go back to the lodge. All in all it was a terrific run on a great Saturday morning.

It was also nice to catch up with all my old college friends, I haven’t seen many in a long time and all I can say is when you get us all together like that is some things never change no matter how old you get. My friends are dropping like flies and getting married one after another. It makes you stop and think how far away I am from ever getting married. Hell, I don’t even have a girlfriend. I also hope for these people that are getting married that they have long lasting marriage with many happy days to come. I have seen 2 of my fraternity brothers have their lives ruined by their wives because they caught their wives cheating on them in the first few months after marriage. It’s terrible to have this happen, but it happens. So congrats to Dusty and Leslie and I wish them a long and happy life together.







No comments: