Friday, April 18, 2008

The Will of the Hill

Ever since moving to Dallas there has been something different about the state and the city that just isn't right. After being here for almost 8 months I have finally put my finger on it. The terrain of Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and NOT Austin, SUCKS!!!. I like everything there is to like about Dallas but I hate the fact that its surroundings are so bleak and flat. Just this past Tuesday, I was in Tarrytown, New York for work. This is some 30 miles north of NYC. I had the pleasure of going for a 45min run just before sunrise. What made this run so pleasurable was the fact that I was able to run almost up a hill for the entire time. It was great. As I set out from the hotel basically running along side a highway, I noticed a castle of sorts at the top of the hill. The castle was positioned in such a way that the rising sun made it difficult to see anything but an outline. I knew for certain though that it was a castle, the turret stuck out like a Rook on the end of a chess board. I thought to myself as I ran on brisk morning, some 30 degrees out, "Wouldn't it be cool to run to the top of that hill and see that castle. My goal for the morning was to run some steep hills. I ended up cutting across a 4 lane road to get to a side street. The reason I did this was because I could see that the street began as a very steep hill. So I ended up just running up this hill, and I remember coming around the bend and saw an even steeper hill and was just so excited.

I know many would think why would you be excited to run up a hill, "Isn't that more difficult?" why yes it is more difficult. However when you live in a place like dallas and run and ride your bike as much as I do it can get very boring riding solely on pancake flat roads. Its as if when I ride and run in Dallas you are on a treadmill of sorts, just never ending.

So the run in New York was great, and here I am in San Clemente, California as I write this blog. I came here for a friends wedding. My friends Mike and Andrea are getting married this weekend. The people here this weekend are the first people I met when I came to Dallas. They are great people and I was very excited when I was invited to their wedding. I was excited for 3 reasons, Weddings are fun, it was very nice of them to invite me having only known me for a short period of time, and I really have wanted to go to California for a long time.

Well here I am sitting in a hotel room getting ready to go out for dinner. I just took a drive down to the beach and pier. All I can say that as soon as I left the airport, I saw something that I miss. I saw mountains and hills. I began to think, to myself well Brett you moved to Dallas and didn't know anyone, why not move to California. I would have near perfect weather to train in year round, and hills. What more could a triathlete ask for. It just really makes you start to think about what your doing and where your going.

So my plan for tomorrow is to wake up at about 8am and eat an apple and cliff bar, then drive to the beach for about a 20 -30 min swim in the open water. I brought my wetsuit and swim goggles, and bright yellow swim cap. I am super pumped for this. I will be sure to bring my camera to take pictures. It may not be the smartest idea swimming alone but I am sure there will be surfers and I will try to get my friends to come with. Other wise this could be my last will and testament if I drown. Much love to everyone, but thats not gonna happen...

Then after the swim, I am gonna go to my car and change into my running clothes. I plan to do a 6 - 8 mile run. I brought my fuel belt with me too, so I can tote my camera and take pictures while I am running. It is just so beautiful here and it makes you happy to be alive and just be outside. This is one thing that I don't recall ever saying about Dallas. Its just so ugly in Dallas.

Now Austin, TX that is another story.

I will post some pics from the run and swim in my next post.

No comments: