Friday, December 5, 2008

Post the results

Okay so I tested last night and as I said I would post the results. My coach pushed me pretty hard. He said he was very impressed with my VO2 max on the bike because it was very high, however a high VO2 max does not necessarily mean that you an excellent athlete. Its all about becoming more efficient on how you burn fat and prolonging the time before you stop burning fat and start burning carbs. I pleased with the results and feel they will aid in my training greatly. Here is a great example why. This past Saturday I had a 15 mile run schedule. My goal was to go out and run the 15 miles and keep my heart rate in the steady state zone. If you look at the first picture you can see the interpretation of the data and my corresponding heart rate zones. The steady state is 151 - 159. My goal was to keep the HR between this zone. At one point in the run about 11 miles in I felt really strong and wanted to pick up the pace. I began to do so and my HR jumped. I had to slow down significantly to keep it below 159. What this is saying is that my Rate of Perceived Exertion doesn't correspond to what my actual fat usage is doing. I felt like I had plenty of gas in the tank, when in reality I really don't. This is what the scientific testing told my coaches and why they established my zones. The reason for keeping the HR below 159 is that past this point I begin to burn carbs and not fat. So on all of my long runs, I will now keep my HR below 159. Only on my tempo runs will I let it rise above that rate. Cool stuff.





The results are as shown in the pictures below:













No comments: