Friday, December 19, 2008

Parting Ways


So it wasn't too long ago that I moved to Texas. I moved here on a sultry summer day in August of 2007. I had a whole two weeks off of work before I began the rest of my adult life. These two weeks were very interesting. Moving to a new city is always a challenge, especially when you don't know anyone. I mean anyone. The only person I knew was my ex-girlfriend, who was part of the reason why I moved here. Needless to say we were exactly dating when I moved here, but that is besides the point. I made a decision as an adult and decided to stick with it and see where it took me. Making this decision was easy at first. However after I broke up with my girlfriend, I can't say that I didn't question the decision I had made.

Overwhelming, small, unknown, and intense are the words that come to mind when I think about the first few weeks here in Dallas. I was a 23 year kid/man living for the first time in a city where I knew no one. I went to college in a different city, but prior to moving I knew a few people. When I moved to Dallas, I knew no one. I moved to this city with nothing more than the clothes in my closet, my bike, my running shoes, and my goggles. I had no furniture, bed, or anything what so ever. I was busy the first few weeks, fitting out my bedroom, living room, and kitchen with all the appropriate accouterments that a 23 year should have living in a big city. I for once was able to make things the way I wanted them.

Every day I rose and had tons of stuff to do. I always managed to squeeze in a run, swim, or a bike ride at some point. Despite the many tasks I even had time to sit by the pool every day too, have a beer or 2 or 10. This is where I first met some great people. One hot Saturday afternoon, after running in the morning obviously, I was sitting poolside with a beer and a book. Oh just saying that makes me want to be on vacation. Poolside with a beer and a book, say it with me: "Beer and a Book". Back to the story. I am very skeptical person and can sometimes judge too quickly. As I am reading, I hear the all too familiar gate crashing and latch catching. This noise was synonymous with a new guest in the pool area. My eyes peak up from my Jimmy Buffett novel and I peer through my dark sunglasses at 3 lovely young ladies with a cooler and a Jam Box. They looked ready to party. I thought to myself, what do we have here.

When you move to a big a city where you don't know anyone, you can't be shy or reclusive. You just have to throw it all out there and see what happens. These 3 girls obviously saw me as well. They promptly asked me if I wanted to play drinking games with them. I am sure I responded with something along the lines "Does the Pope wear a white hat?" 

The lab relay race / chugging contest drinking games gave way to the beginning of a wonderful friendship with Audrey, Yvette, and Andrea They would soon become my closest friends in Dallas. Audrey and Yvette lived together and Andrea lived with her fiance Mike. Whenever I didn't have anything to do I would call those girls and see what they were up too. I viewed them as such good friends I even flew to California for Andrea and Mike's wedding. I soon met all of their friends from college and everyone was always so welcoming and friendly. So many times when you meet new people they can be arrogant and not friendly. These folks weren't like that at all. Audrey and all of her friends soon made Dallas feel like a small place.

I soon grew a real close relationship with Audrey and Yvette. They were almost always together. We all shared stories about our past and were around for each other through some important points in each others lives. I won't share some of the things that happened in these girls lives but I will share some of my stories. For me one of the most meaningful things that Audrey and Yvette did for me was to come with me to Austin, Texas when I ran my first marathon. For anyone who reads this blog, you know I run a bunch and do triathlons. Anyways, I told these girls about it and they organized and group and next thing you know we were leaving town on Friday afternoon.

The entire trip was a blast. I achieved that day something I used to think was never possible. I ran 26.2 miles. It was the biggest accomplishment of my life at that point. I was ecstatic to have some close friends cheering me on at mile 20 of the race and then waiting for me at the finish line. It is really something special when you know people are waiting for you at the finish line of a long race. Its motivation to finish. It was really special for me to have someone else to share this moment with. I have done so many races where I am alone in a different city and I feel great for finishing and all the hard work pays off, but its different when you can share it with close friends who have seen the effort you put forth. 

No matter how long I continue to run, or do triathlons, I will always remember finishing my first marathon. I will never forget the weekend that surrounded that race and the long car ride home, in which Audrey drove my car because I couldn't move my legs. 

I write this post with great despondency, for as of last weekend Audrey has moved back to her home to go back to school. Its great for her to be going back to school to pursue a passion of hers, but its sad to see one of my closest friends leave. I will never forget Audrey. We shared many great times together. She will always have a special place in my life and I hope that I get to see her again soon. 

Cheers Audrey, I'll miss seeing you!

No comments: