Monday, April 20, 2009

Flat Tire and Volunteers

So, my ankle has been acting up and the funny thing is that I didn't even do anything to hurt it. I was taking my boots off to change before my metabolic testing and all of sudden.... Its just really sore and hurt. So I stumbled thru last week with a "FLAT Tire" of a leg not running on it, icing and elevating, and only riding, swimming, and yoga. Well my analysis from last week is that the riding is not helping it. This is very unfortunate, because it limits my training. I get really upset when I can't ride, run, and jealous every time I see others riding or running. However I just need to stop and think about the big picture. Rest and let the leg heal for a few weeks worse case and then I can go on and continue to train. There is never any sense of pushing thru minor injuries because they almost inevitably get worse. I learned this a few years ago when I was training for my first half marathon. I will never make this mistake again. So I am reaching out to a Doctor my coach recommended and just take this bull by the horns and make the ankle better. I hope a few days off from riding and running will make it better. For now lots of ICE, YOGA, SWIMMING, AND NSAIDS..... Boo no cycling. I hope its better before the shiner bike ride too. I paid good money for that ride and am going and doing it in 2 weeks.

In other news I want to shout out to all my family who will be coming up to Wisconsin for my Ironman to go and sign up for volunteering at the race. Please follow the below link to do so. You can't sign up yet but they will ask for your email to get an alert when you can sign up. I would recommend for the following people to do these things:

Volunteer LINK

Dad, Jeff & Donnie -- Men's Transition Change Tent or Bike catchers
Mom and Sisters -- Bike Catchers, Wet Suit Strippers, Aid Station on the Run Course, or Bag hander outer before the change tent.

So here is the math on when and where I will be on the course throughout the day, here is a worst case scenario. So take this into consideration and make sure you would be volunteering before the below times but no later than the below times. e.g. bike catcher choose a time slot around 1pm -- 4pm. You will for sure catch me.

Swim Start : 7am

Swim Duration: 1:30

Wet Suit stripping (I'll be there before) : 8:30am

Bag Hander outer before the change tent before: 8:33am

Men's Transition Change Tent before: 8:34am

Bike Duration-- 7:00

Bike catcher (time you could catch my bike before) : 3:34pm

Men's Transition #2 before : 3:35pm

Run Aid Stations: anytime from 3:35pm to 6pm This will allow you to be at the finish line when I cross. Best case is I finish in like 11 hours so 7am -- 6pm. But the run is a 2 loop course so even if you aren't volunteering you will see me quite a few times too, and when I'm at mile 20 or so you can go to the finish line. I most likely will be able to also tell all of you my Pace per mile for the last 6 miles to figure out if you have enough time to get to the finish.

1 comment:

sallyaston said...

Sorry about the ankle, but you are smart to rest it, even though that is hard and frustrating. I didnt run for over 2 months this winter and it was awful. A week off now can save you problems down the road! Take car!