Saturday, October 18, 2008

Free, Free, thank God Almighty, I am free at last !

Resting and solitude--two words that are intertwined yet powerful. Resting is a simple act. It can come in the form of sleep, taking a walk, chatting with friends or reading a book in the sun. Solitude in my opinion is a necessary part of life. But too much of a good thing is always bad. I would venture to think that many triathletes also feel this way. It is an indescribable feeling to be set out for a 15 mile run at sunrise on a crisp fall morning, or gear up for a 60 mile solo bike ride. There is a certain sense of freedom that one has while pedaling or running into a sunrise, that feels empowering. This freedom is not something that should be taken for granted, because it can be taken away.

For most of us, it can be hard to think of when or why this freedom could be taken away. We are all law abiding citizens, with jobs, families, and hobbies. Yesterday, it became all too real that there are people in this world where that is not the case. My company is building an addition to a county jail in Houston. I was at this jobsite and part of a required meeting was to enter the jail where there are current inmates and criminals. Walking around the halls with the security guards and other co-workers was an eerie feeling. Convicts were in striped uniforms working about the halls. I for an instant felt trapped and nervous. There are no windows, so the light is only that from a fluorescent bulb.

Upon leaving, I was reminded of this freedom that we all have. Lets not take it for granted, because not everyone has it. Although all of the people in that jail deserve to be there for committing, what I am sure are heinous acts, it still is a depressing thought to be couped up in that building for the rest of your life. I know this is the case because of jail yard cemetery right next to the prison.

Stew on these thoughts for a minute. I guarantee that you can not begin to understand the feeling until you step foot in a prison like that. I never want to go back. So back to the two words, rest and solitude. I think every prisoner in that jail is all too familiar with both of them and that is why I chose to start the post with those comments, to get you to think what they mean to you and how to a prisioner they mean something entirely different.

Everyone reading this, do me a favor and don't go to jail !

1 comment:

Lorenda said...

I work EMS in a county in Michigan with one of the largest prisons. I have been in the maximum security prison as well as the lower security buildings. It is always very creepy going in there, especially the max security. I don't think I will ever get used to going in there and I dread it every time a call comes in and I'm headed out there. Nothing is easy about a call at the prison either, it's an ordeal just to get in there. The ambulance has to be searched before we drive into the gate. There are many doors to go through where one opens, you walk through and it closes before another opens. When a prisoner is in a critical situation alot of time is lost getting there to help them but I guess that is part of losing your privileges for breaking the laws.