Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Ironman Wisconsin

So this evening I looked into flights to fly to Chicago and then bus myself to Wisconsin to volunteer for the Ironman Wisconsin 2009 race. It looks as if I can get there pretty cheap and possibly use my airline miles that I have accumulated from traveling. I figure this is probably a great idea for 2 reasons. First I will get exposed to the excitement and hoop la that surrounds an Ironman event and get a chance to ride the entire about 60 miles of the bike course and run  good portion of the run course. This is a huge advantage for me to get mentally prepared for the race. The second reason this is a good idea is that there is almost a 100% chance I will reserve my spot for the race in 2009. 

Other than those thoughts, I am moving right now and have been doing a little too much during the evenings and haven't been able to get my workouts in. However carrying heavy stuff for 2 hours on monday and tuesday night is not that easy either. So it's not like I have been sitting around on the couch. Tomorrow, I am going to try out the run again in the morning. I had some pains from after the Half Ironman and it really was just sore and strained. It felt really good for a while, but I have not really ran since my last olympic distance tri on 7/13/08. I also PR that race by about 4 minutes even though I rode an extra 1.8 miles on the bike because I got somewhat lost. I finished in 2:18 and change. The ankle hurt bad in that race. I ran an easy 2 miles after my 45 mile bike ride last saturday and it felt good. So I will try it back out tomorrow for a super easy 5 miles. So all those days off, I just Iced and rested it and took some NSAIDS.  So we shall see how it feels. I can't stand not being able to run, but I know I need to just rest it. So if tomorrow goes good, I know I can get back to running, but if its sore, I will rest it some more and stick to swimming and cycling. 

I will update later on how everything goes.

No comments: